On February 25, 2017, over 500 people came together at Kellogg Zaher Park in Las Vegas to celebrate World Rare Disease Day at our Vegas Cares About Rare 5K event. Participants came in to town from all over Southern Nevada as well as Missouri, Illinois, Arizona, and as far as Alberta, Canada!
The success of this event went above and beyond our expectations, actually making this our most successful fundraising event in the history of our organization. We raised over $18,000 to continue to fund our programs, and our community showered love on the 21 children diagnosed with rare diseases who were our event VIPs. The coming together of our community to raise awareness for childhood rare disease was exciting and awe-inspiring!
This year’s event statistics:
- 388 registered participants (231 for the 5K, 104 for the 1M, and 25 Virtual racers) – race results
- 21 VIP rare children attended plus families of 3 rare angels (including Hannah)
- 28 teams (largest was 37 people!)
- Fundraising teams raised over $7800
- Over 50 volunteers including:
- Green Valley Kiwanis Club
- Valley High Key Club
- Green Valley High Key Club
- Durango High Key Club
- Coronado High Key Club
- Clark County Law Foundation
- Wynn Las Vegas
Special thank you to our sponsors: